So – this is a Wire Haired Dachshund Head study and I thought it would be fun to share the stages of the picture being made – so here they are! I started with a piece of blue plain felt and used 3 different browns, white, grey, black, tan and ochre coloured wool batting.
I put the top, middle and ear first so I could see if the proportions were going to be right.
Then I started to fill in some of the blanks
I concentrated on a small area at a time, building up the layers to replicate the blend of hair and mix of colours on the face
The nostrils were tricky because although they are black, the light reflecting gives them a white / silver sheen
By now I was starting to feel happier with it – not totally, but I felt I had a grasp of what still needed to be done
And Finally ……… the picture was complete – I will probably glue it onto a greetings card, or put it in a small frame. Now, onto the next!!!