Well ….. the wind is howling and the rain is lashing down. The dogs were all asleep so I started needle felting a Miniature Pinscher. Not an easy task when it is only going to be small …. 11cms (4 and a half inches) long and the same high. So I got out the wool and a range of needles – thicker ones for the body felting and finer ones for the legs and face.
Usually, I make the body first but as the legs are quite fiddly, I did the front legs first, using fine chenile sticks to felt the wool round, making sure the outsides were black and the inside of the legs red (as observed via Googling lots of Miniature Pinscher pictures!!)
Once the legs were eventually felted, I made the body from black roving and felted the legs on. To make sure they are secure, I stitched through them and the body with a long doll needle and black thread, then used black wool to felt over the stitiching. The body needed quite a lot of felting as the tummy tucks up and the dog actually looks like a wedge shape in real life so I had to slope the back down and the tummy up. I then felted over the black chest with a band of red brown roving with a fine black line down the centre. I left the neck mostly unfelted because it needed the head making and attaching.
Next for the tail, which was felted around a small piece of a fine chenile stick so that I could bend it appropriately. The under side of the tail is the red brown, the same as the inside of the legs and the chest.
I felted the tail on, making sure it was firmly attached and bent at the right angle.
Next for the head. I rough felted the shape which was incredibly complicated because the breed has a full face, finer muzzle and eyes that are sort of facing forwards. I messed and messed with this – starting over at least 3 times!
Finally, I added the eyes – small black beads on wire, which are glued into the head after making a hole in the felt with a Bradawl. I then felted around them with a fine line of cream batting to give the impression of eyelids, which are slanting upwards from the corners. Next I added the red brown colour to the face and under the chin, glued on the polymer clay nose and felted a fine black mouth line underneath. I felted a flat piece of black and overlaid it with a fine layer of pink, which I used to cut the ears from, attaching them so they stood high and pointed on the back of the top of the head. A little more felting and a bit more wool added to give the neck the correct width and strength and he was finally finished.
He took about 5 and a half hours to complete.
Prior to making him I made a pretty Chinese Crested, using the same methods as above