Well my 2 Green Dachshund Bags are winging their way to their new home in New York
…………………….. so of course I had to make another one! For this one I used bright summer colours. I wet felted the bag from 2 layers of Perendale and 2 layers of Merino wool batting. Then I shaped it, dried it and hand stitched a braided leather handle (bronze) all the way around. I wanted a big, bold front, hence the Dachshund on the move, a bright yellow sunflower, some tiny white Aubretia and a leaf. I needle felted these …………………. it took forever – the sunflower was particularly time consuming as each petal was done individually. I added the white heart to balance it and then turned it over.
On the other side I needle felted a dachshund holding colourful balloons, again all needle felted individually. Along the bottom I needle felted more flowers blue, pink, white and purple – completing my colourful, summery bag!
I feature dogs and Dachshunds in lots of my felt work. So, I wanted to do something different ….. but I wasn’t sure what.
I sat in the garden watching the dogs play (and making sure they did not knock 13 year old Libby off the ramp in their excitement). And the little birds visiting the garden kept my attention for a long time. So busy, so pretty. I recognised the Blue Tit and the Long Tailed Tit and there were plenty of others, some that I did not know. They were busy little things, gathering the hair that I had earlier stripped off the dogs when grooming, stealing the moss from my hanging baskets and troughs for their nests and seeking out insects from the plants and trees.
So I set to work on a new bag. I used Cerise and Mulberry Perendale for the bag. I cut a resist from some cushion-floor vinyl. I used 4 layers of wool strands, wet felted over the resist. I cut the handle holes in when the bag was well felted and continued fulling and shaping with soapy hands. I left to dry for 3 days while I thought about how to complete it. I used nappa leather to hand stitch around the handle holes, both as decoration and to strengthen the handle area. I decided on a Long Tailed Tit on one side with some Primroses and a Marigold. These were needle felted on from a range of Merino, Shetland and Perendale batts.
One the other side I decided on a colourful Blue Tit with some leaves to decorate the bottom, again using a range of wool batts to needle felt them firmly on.